Friday, October 23, 2009

Swedish food

I have a project in mind. My mom's from Sweden, and I never bothered to learn more than one or two Swedish recipes from her, despite the fact that she's a great cook, has several Swedish cookbooks, and I love Swedish food. So I've decided to start blogging about Swedish food every now and then. My mom won't be around forever and I want to be able to pass her Swedish cooking on to my future kids.

I'm gonna start with one of my favourites, Kroppkakor. I made it for the first time a few years ago and still remember my mom's recipe, it's pretty simple. Boil potatoes, while they're boiling fry about 1/3 as much chopped bacon and onions together. When they're done frying drain on paper towels and set aside. When potatoes are done mash them and add flour till you get dough, then make a roughly hamburger patty-sized patty of dough in the palm of your hand, and spoon some bacon and onion mix in the middle making sure you don't get grease around the edges cause they won't stick together. Pinch together the edges and form into a ball, making sure there's no holes in the dough. When you're done shaping all the dumplings dump into boiling water and boil till they float. My mom always serves them with just butter. I really want to make these this weekend too, but we'll see.

I also came across two other recipes, one was for Poutine Rapee (pronounced "rah-pay"), which is similar, and from there I found rappie pie. I think I'd heard of rappie pie before, and now I want to try making them both, they sound good. The second Swedish recipe I'll make is probably Palt, which is similar to kroppkakor. Lol I might even try to find the ingredients for Blodpalt, which, surprise surprise, has blood in it! Here's the wikipedia page on Swedish cuisine, if anyone's interested. I found it really interesting, and I can't wait to go to Ikea now to get myself some Swedish food!

No comments:

Post a Comment