Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chicken and ham casserole, more chinatown goodies

I was on the phone just now with my mom and she mentioned that she had made one of my favourite meals, chicken and ham casserole, so I asked her for the recipe. I have all the ingredients except for the mushrooms and pepper so I'm gonna buy those and make it this week. I can't wait! And tomorrow night I'm gonna make the patty melt, I couldn't make it tonight cause I had to finish off my Dagwoods.

1/2 lb mushrooms, cut into pieces
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tps dry mustard or 1 tsp prepared mustard
1 tbsp ketchup
1 1/2 cup grated cheese
1 1/2 cup cubed chicken (or turkey)
1 1/2 cup cubed ham
2 cups of cooked egg noodles (or any pasta)
1 cup croutons

Sautee in butter the mushrooms and green pepper. Mix together seasonings, add to veggies with flour and stir. Gradually add the milk and the broth. Let it simmer till it has thickened, stirring occasionally. Add cheese and stir it in to melt. Add the chicken, ham, and noodles, mix well. Put it in a buttered 9x9" pan, and put croutons on top, then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

So this morning I went to church and was greeted with a cloud of incense when I walked in. It normally smells strongly of incense, but I've never seen a cloud this thick in the entrance:





My parish is in the basement of a stone church that's probably a few hundred years old, and you can see the beautiful old stone walls inside the entrance. After church I went to Chinatown again:



And discovered the Place du Quartier, a mini-mall:



Inside on the ground floor along with the stores there were two miniature restaurants that I want to go eat at some day:









And another restaurant and a takeout counter across the hall from eachother. Here's the takeout counter:





And the restaurant:





And on the mezzanine there was one large restaurant that was packed with people, there were people lined up down the hallway waiting to get in. I want to go eat there sometime too:



After exploring the Place du Quartier I went to the Calla bakery on La Gauchetiere and got a sweet coconut bun that was mislabeled as a ham bun:



And some pork cookies. They were made with sticky sweet pork, I found them a bit too sweet though:





And some mini egg tarts, they were so yummy. About 4" across, and the filling wasn't too sweet, like custard, and the dough was really flaky and light:





They also had some walnut date cakes but I didn't get any:





And I couldn't resist getting another "Ox-Tongue" pastry, they're just too yummy!

Afterwards I met up with Mat at Angrignon metro and we went and exchanged the wireless router we had bought, then went home and installed it and watched the two latest episodes of House, then had dinner. I finally finished off my dagwoods, and had an egg tart for dessert. I'm going to have to bring a dozen of those to my parents next time I go visit, with some ox-tongue pastries too.

No comments:

Post a Comment