Friday, September 18, 2009

Caterpillar, variation on corn patties, and un-fixable hoisin smokies

A yellow caterpillar I found on the front steps of my building yesterday:



Shrimp corn patties I made tonight, I added shrimp and some roasted garlic and pepper seasoning, but they were pretty average, I won't make this variation again:



Last night I tried to make the hoisin smokies (that I tried for the first time this week and was dissapointed in, I much prefer my juicy cheddar smokies, these ones weren't juicy at all, and didn't taste like hoisin sauce, just ginger) more edible by slicing them in half, stuffing with cheese, and then wrapping in bacon and then cooking them, but even that didn't manage to make them yummy, the salty ginger flavor overpowered everything else:



I was thinking to myself as I was cooking dinner tonight that I don't use recipes often enough. I usually just grab whatever is in my fridge/cupboards and cook it or cook some combination of it, ex: steak, potatoes, frozen veggies. I spent the day at work today looking at amazing looking recipes (One Whole Clove, Slurp and Burp, Fortress de Louisbourg) that I really want to try, but I fear will end up not doing, again. When I have some money to buy stuff other than what I already have in the kitchen I will though. I just wish I had the time and resources to try as many recipes as I want to! As it is I'd never get to the end of the list lol.

2 comments:

  1. I came across this post while trying to ID the same critter...

    The caterpillar is the American Dagger moth...Take a look at http://www.ipmimages.org/browse/subthumb.cfm?su=2488 for more images.

    I have been told that I am not allowed to just be a bug-geek...Try sweet potato quesadillas...one of the most delicious things I've stumbled across recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, thanks! I looked up a few recipes online and those quesadillas sound really yummy. I'll try them soon! Do you have a recipe to recommend?

    ReplyDelete