Saturday, September 19, 2009

My First Apple Pie

I decided on the spur of the moment at the grocery store earlier to make an apple pie tonight. So I grabbed some lard and extra Royal Gala apples and after dinner tonight started making it. The first one is in the oven right now, I'll wait to make the second one tomorrow I think because I'm not sure I'll have enough flour to roll it out. Here's my grandmother's recipe for pie crust (makes enough for two large pies with top crusts):

1lb cold lard/shortening
4 cups of flour
1tbsp salt
1 egg
1 cup ice cold water
2 tbsp vinegar

Mix salt and flour in a large mixing bowl. Cut the lard into 1in. cubes, add to flour and then using the flat side of two butter knives cut into small pieces the size of peas and mix occasionally to distribute the flour evenly. Then separate the egg, beat the egg yolk and mix with the vinegar and water. Mix the yolk mixture with the flour and lard, then mix the egg white in, and chill 1/2 hour. Take a chunk of dough about the size of a softball and roll it out to about 1/4in. thick on a clean, well-floured surface with a well-floured rolling pin. When it's rolled out, slide your pie pan underneath, and tuck the dough into the pie pan. Cut the excess dough away with scissors or a knife, leaving about 1/2in. overhang to compensate for the dough shrinking when it's cooked. Pierce the bottom of the dough several times with a fork, then add your filling. Make the top of the pie the same way as the bottom, and cut a slit in it to let steam out.  Bake at 425 for 10 minutes and then lower to 375 for 30 minutes. Check near the end to make sure the color is right and remove when it starts to be golden brown. There should be enough dough left over to make some pets de soeur.

For the filling I just cut up two apples into wedges and drizzled them with honey. The filling I based off another apple pie recipe I got from a lady at church. Her filling is thin apple slices mixed with a few tablespoons of orange juice, honey, and a few drops of vanilla extract. I didn't bother to check her recipe, I just remembered it called for honey on the apples, which I did because it was simplest. And of course I had to eat some raw dough, it's so yummy!

10 minutes till checking time, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment