Monday, May 4, 2009

This weekend I went with Mat and his brother Max to his dad's place finally since his friends were busy. We ended up going there on Friday night instead of Sat. morning cause his dad wanted them to help clear the backyard to build the deck afterwards. We got there around 9pm, had a bite to eat and talked a bit with a few beers (and me with a B52) I went to bed at around 11pm, and they all stayed up to talk. I learned to not underestimate the vocal range of 3 men drinking and arguing after having spent the better part of 2 hours unsuccessfully trying to block them out with 2 pillows over my head lol. Next time I'm bringing earplugs!!

Saturday morning we were up at the crack of 9am when the truck came to deliver the wood for the deck, Mat and his dad a bit worse for wear with matching headaches and no aspirin in sight lol. I helped them clear away the junk from the back of the house after that, then went inside to make some french toasts for Mat and Max.

Mat's dad's recipe for french toasts is a lot different from what my parents always made, it's a couple of eggs with a roughly equal amount of milk, about 2tbsp of vanilla extract (yes you saw right, I was shocked to see him pour in half the freaking bottle!), and a few glugs from a can of maple syrup, well mixed. Then you get the pan nice and medium-hot with a small pat of butter, once it's melted you quickly dredge the slice of bread through the bottom of the bowl of egg-milk mixture, I let it sit 5 seconds or so to soak up a bit more liquid, and then dump it in the pan, flip when browned to your liking, cook some more till browned on the other side, and serve hot. I actually like it better than my parents recipe, theirs is egg, little if no milk, and savoury seasonings such as salt & pepper or powdered fat-free chicken broth instead of sweet stuff. I'd like to try a mix of the two recipes as well sometime, with the same proportions of egg vs. milk as Michel's recipe, but the chicken broth instead as seasoning. Lol I want to go home and make some tonight now :P With the Stracciatella that I meant to make last week too maybe :D I'll have to stop at the grocery store for some eggs now :P

After breakfast Mat's older brother Bass (Sebastien) arrived to build the deck. So I spent a very nice day sitting and watching the deck being built and playing with Mat's daughter. He had her over for the day, I took pictures and videos that I'll post up later. I had some toast and reeeealy yummy President's Choice mushroom bisque with strong cheddar added in for lunch, and we went to Mickey Dee's for dinner. I got a bit of a sunburn on my face from sitting outside all day. At 6:20 Mat, Max and I left to drop his daughter off at her mom's place and go back to Montreal after that. We got stuck in traffic for about half an hour once we got to Montreal because the L. H. Lafontaine tunnel was closed and finally arrived at his place at around 9pm. I went to bed at around 10:30, didn't get much sleep again since I wake up at the slightest noise and Mat was sitting in his squeaky desk chair playing a game on the computer in his room.

Yesterday after church I went home and did some laundry and cleaning, and spent some time enjoying the 20+degree (celcius) weather and sunshine. I ate the leftovers of pasta carbonara and ribs and forgot to take pictures. Oh well, I'll definitely be making that recipe again anyways. The new ceiling was finally up in my bathroom, the plaster was drying and hopefully it'll be painted when I get home tonight. After dinner I left to go back to Mat's place, and we spent the evening fiddling with my computer to get it working properly. Apparently I didn't have a bunch of drivers installed and it took an hour and a half to get that fixed. Finally by 9:30 or so my computer was working properly so I spent another 2 hours setting it up to my liking and resizing a few pictures I took this weekend.

Today was one of those days when I'm forced to drink coffee to function properly, I woke up at 6:45 (although my alarm was only set to go off at 7:50), went back to sleep, and was woken again at 7:22 by Max complaining to himself in the other room about something computer-related. Oh the joys of being a light sleeper lol. Well my earplugs are bought now so I'll use them next time I'm over there. Tonight I have to force myself to go to bed early! I'm glad I got some cleaning done this weekend so I won't have any to do this week.

My part-time roommate called from Lennoxville earlier to ask if I minded if he came over with his girlfriend for the weekend to look for an apartment, so seems like I'll have a bit of company this weekend. I'm glad I'll be armed with earplugs this time lol, last time they were here they kept me up really late one night :P And this weekend me and Mat are gonna go to Smokemeat Pete's! I can't wait :D

Only 47 more minutes till I get to go home relax with good food and my newly-installed (working properly and much faster!) Windows XP. It's 5:27 now, but I started the previous sentence at 5:11, yes it does take me 16 minutes to finish a sentence occasionally since I write between calls at work lol. 30 minutes left now! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment