Tuesday, May 5, 2009

French toast grilled cheese+bacon sandwich!

Here's what I came up with for dinner tonight after staring at the contents of my fridge for a while.

Here's the mise en place (what you'll need). First I started some bacon frying on medium-low heat, while it was frying I mixed 1 medium egg with about the same amount of milk, a tsp. or so of fat-free chicken broth powder (in the shaker on the right, yes I use it as seasoning for lots of things) and some white pepper. After that I sliced 8 slices of no-name brand strong cheddar and set them out to warm up to room temperature so they'd melt quicker once I put them on the sandwich. Once the bacon was done I drained it on some paper towels on the cheese plate, and drained the bacon grease out except for a few drops left in the bottom which I left there to cook the sandwich in, and took out two slices of thick-sliced italian bread.



First I dredged the slices quickly in the egg and milk mixture, maybe leaving them in 5 or 10 seconds to soak up a bit of liquid, then into the pan:



I checked occasionally by lifting them up with the spatula to see how brown they were getting on the bottom. Once they started to brown (I didn't brown them that much because they were going to get flipped back onto that side again later) I flipped after adding another tsp or so of butter to the pan:



And waited till the other side got properly browned, then flipped again and added the cheese, covered, waited about 30 seconds, and removed from the heat. I left them a minute or two (or maybe 3) for the cheese to melt:



Then added the bacon:



Put the two halves together, and Bam! the most amazing breakfast sandwich for dinner ever! It was sooooo good!!! But next time I think I'll just use one layer of cheese and bacon rather than two lol.

14 comments:

  1. Love. In one cheesy stack of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love u for making this...i have crap in my house....but then i see this and its like heaven rained on me thank u! making it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have the same plates!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Bacon Addicts shared this on FB today... so glad will be trying this for dinner tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When's dinner and what should I bring to drink?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a cook, but this look easy and I bet it taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn that sounds delicious. What a combo. I'm making that for dinner tonight. Thanks for the resipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU. THIS IS OUR SUPPER TONIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made this. Absolutely delicious; thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely delicious; thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete