Thursday, May 28, 2009

BBQ vs. Grilling

Apparently in the southern U.S. those two terms have different definitions than here in Canada. Here they are used interchangeably to mean anything cooked on a grill, whereas things that are cooked by smoking are referred to as smoked. In the States cooking on a grill is grilling, and anything cooked by smoking is BBQ.

I was just reading this and decided I have to have a go at grilling/smoking something myself during my vacation in 2 weeks. I just have to buy a meat thermometer and an oven thermometer, I have a small gas grill with a lid at my parents place in the country where I'll be spending a week during my vacation. I can't wait! I'm gonna bbq myself silly (if my mother lets me. She gets incredibly... stressed out, by me doing regular household things sometimes, like washing the windows, or baking bread, at their place.) and I can't wait :D

2 comments:

  1. In the South barbecue is a noun, not a verb. And depending on where you go, it's either pork or beef. I say it's pork, flavored with a little vinegar based sauce, and that all other styles are heretical.

    Beef is anathema.

    I've actually written two very lengthy essays about the history of barbecue in the South. It's something I'm VERY passionate about. When I "barbecue" I do it the authentic way - by digging a pit, covering it with a grill of sticks, and burning hickory chips to smoke the meat for 5 or 6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Can I read your essays? I'd LOVE to try barbecuing that way some day, but I don't have a yard and don't know if my parents would let me dig a pit in theirs lol. I'd also love to travel to the Southern US for all the great food there, especially the barbecue! Oh and I love pork too!! I've wanted to cure and smoke my own bacon for a while now but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe this summer?

    ReplyDelete