Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Late happy Thanksgiving weekend (for Canadians)

And early happy Thanksgiving for Americans :P

I had a great weekend. If only it could have lasted longer lol. My next chance to visit my parents longer than a day and a half will be at Christmas. It was so nice to be in the country for a while.

I'm increasingly contemplating moving back to the country sometime. I've always wanted to raise my family in the country, but never had any immediate plans for doing so. This weekend I was joking with my parents about quitting my job in Montreal to take a job as a cashier in Rawdon at $4/hour less so
I can move back in with my parents and pay $150/month of rent and watch House and the Food Channel all the time lol.

A few months ago around the time my parents moved I talked to my dad about seriously considering moving back in with them to try to help them out for several reasons, but my dad wouldn't hear of it. If I remember right he was saying something along the line of "you're young, go live you're life, don't waste it on us!"

Then a few weeks ago I came across a blog by someone who'd like to "live an agrarian life" (in the About Me section a short ways down on the right). This was the first time I had ever heard the word "agrarian", and it (and his posts about it) got me thinking. Just now looking at his blog I came across the idea of Distributism as well for the second time in as many weeks, and I have yet to bother to find out what it really means and how it's related to an agrarian lifestyle (and unrelated to communism). Maybe I'll google it after I'm done writing this.

Then today I came across this post, which also reminded me of this one (in particular the line "Do you know, my child, how a mother can feed her children without nourishing them? By not singing a song of love to them while nursing them, but a song of hatred towards a neighbor."), which all got me thinking. All this solidifies my intention of raising any possible future family in the countryside, if not complete wilderness (I loved that book about the family that lived on a wildlife reserve in Africa with a lion! I can't remember the title, I lent it to Scott a while back, I'll have to ask him.)without tv or possibly even internet.

I grew up in the country in Ontario myself, and spent most of my childhood playing outside with bugs and critters, and I loved watching nature shows like national geographic, as well as hunting, fishing and cooking shows. So I've always had a love of nature, and although I don't mind the city with it's conveniences (mostly not having to own a car, besides that I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that doesn't have to do with consumerism), I'm a country mouse at heart.

Speaking of books, my mom lent me a dozen or so books, mostly about lives of the saints/Christian stuff. I finally have something else to do between calls at work besides writing in here! (hey, it can only keep me occupied for so long). I've started on Dorotheos of Gaza: Discourse and Sayings, translated by Eric P. Wheeler. So far it's interesting, but I'm not even halfway through the (long) introduction yet. I also brought Blessed John the Wonderworker to work as well for when I finish Dorotheos of Gaza. The rest are piled on my kitchen table at home, where they will most likely stay till I finish them all and eventually get around to returning them to my mom. I have more in my bookshelf that she wants back (see my list of favourite books in my profile) and another 2 piles on the floor near my bedroom door that I want to get rid of but don't know where to bring.

It's nice to read, I used to be a huge bookworm in high school and then stopped reading almost completely after moving out and losing acess to any decent english libraries. It's so nice to escape to a book on a crowded bus, or sitting alone in the lunch room with a coworker who you have nothing to say to and don't feel like making small talk with.

The 3-day weekend helped my cough a lot too, which is really nice. 1 more week of taking cortisone. I hope it'll be gone by then, I don't feel like taking it for 2 more weeks.

Yesterday I painted 1 coat on the closet doors in my room and decided to do the next coat whenever I go back there. So I went on the internet a bit after that till I left. I slept on the bus from Rawdon to Montreal, which was really nice cause I was tired, and managed to catch the metro right away, and the city bus right after I got off the metro, which saved me about 20 minutes of waiting total. I got home at around 7:45 last night, and cleaned the cat litter and gave them food and water and unpacked a bit quickly then put some perogies on to boil and sat down to spent the rest of the evening fixing up (usually crop, sharpen, add contrast, add saturation, or some combination of those) and uploading pictures.

I took a whole bunch of pictures this weekend (60 or so) and narrowed it down to maybe half that last night. I had another bunch left over from last weekend, 20 or so, that I hadn't fixed and uploaded yet either. So I took a few hours and fixed up ALL my pictures, then uploaded the rest of the cathedral series (21 in total). I really wanted to upload the ones of this weekend, but I like to upload my pictures in order. Then I puttered around and ended up going to bed at 1:30am or so lol. It took me half an hour to get out of bed this morning, usually it takes me 10-15 minutes. So today is a coffee day :P I have to force myself to go to bed super early tonight or I'll be a zombie tomorrow.

I'll upload some more pictures tonight, I can't wait to upload the bbq'ed turkey legs pictures, it looks (and was!) soooo delicious!

Ugh I'm just hitting my afternoon sleepiness now. *yawn* I probably should have drank more of my coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment