Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tiredness, saints and friends

I remember yesterday evening thinking to myself "I forgot to write a blog entry today?" and thinking that I had something long-ish to write about but I don't remember now. Oh well.

Yesterday morning I got up too late and when I get up late and I'm tired I forget things. Some days many things. Thankfully yesterday it was only my St. Dorotheos book, since I had the Blessed John the Wonderworker book at work already, so I'd have something to read. So I started reading about John the Wonderworker, and I'm glad I did. It's an amazing book, I had to keep myself from getting all teary-eyed at work lol. Interestingly, a few weeks ago I noticed that they had his belt at St. Benoit de Nursie (one of the two OCA churches I go to here in Montreal), but for some reason I hadn't bothered to venerate it along with the icon it was sitting above. Now that I'm reading his book I really wish I had, and can't wait to go back there on Sunday to do that.

Actually writing this now I remember what I wanted to write about. For some reason saints in general were always kind of vague to me, someone who I know lived a long time ago whose life and example we should imitate as an amazing witness to Christ, and whose icons we venerate at church, but somehow still just someone who lived a long time ago. I know in my head that they are still present with us, and can be petitioned to help us in many ways, that they are the great cloud of witnesses that sing along with the angels and the choir in church, but it somehow wasn't as real as it should be for me.

Reading the life of John the Wonderworker, who only reposed in 1966 (only 40 years ago), who is "believed by Orthodox Christians all over the world to be the holiest man of the twentieth century", the fact that an actual saint lived in north america in our times somehow hit it home for me that these people are still here! Not physically, but they are here, they hear our prayers and petitions. Reading his book made me want to run to church and ask for a pannikhida for him and petition him to pray for my friends and family. I might talk about that with my priest some time. This book makes you feel like you know him as a close friend, and makes you want to call him Vladika (russian term of endearment for clergy) as well.

I'm still a bit muddle-headed and tired since it's the morning and I don't drink coffee, I don't remember all of what I felt and thought about that last night, but mostly just that he has made saints all the more real for me. I have to buy an icon of him now. I wonder if Matthew has one if him. I'll check later.

My nose reminded me last night that I have to start taking my nasal cortisone spray again, I thought I could do without and only take the pump for my lungs, but it kept me up for an hour or two after I went to bed. So take it I will. 2 weeks left...

Aside from that things are good, I finally got a hold of Scott last night to ask him what he's doing this weekend, he's working (he works as an RA at the dorm at John Abbott College so his job is just staying home and checking on things) so I'm gonna go visit him :D I was surprised that his mom sent me a message on Facebook asking how things are, that was really nice of her :)

Very tired. I'm gonna go read some more.

5 comments:

  1. What book is it exactly about St. John? Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one: http://www.stherman.com/catalog/chapter_five/BJ_book.htm

    It was given to by mom by her godmother, and my mom lent it to me. Amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I've actually meant to pick that book up, but of course my wallet says "No!" I'm glad to hear that it is good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have an icon of St. John. I can sympathize with your thoughts about saints. I think it's hard to put yourself in the shoes of someone that lived over a thousand years ago. Partly because you don't know what that world was really like, but also because oftentimes the lives of the saints from way back can be a little sketchy. I think it's great that we live in an age in which we actually have photographs of some saints, in which their writings are all accounted for, and that we can understand much more easily what the world was like around these saints. It makes them so much more real to us, and makes it easier for us to try to emulate their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I'll be ordering a card of that one along with a bunch of others, as soon as I get a reply from Zazzle about shipping options to Canada. Apparently the basic shipping (cheapest) isn't available for some reason, or there's a bug with the site.

    ReplyDelete