Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Busy-ness, disorders, Dorotheos, and incense

Today has been really busy at work since we're missing people and the receptionist is training someone as well. It's rainy and cold and grey. I got a nice idea from this blog to take a picture every day and post it. It's inevitable that some days it'll be a picture that gets posted both here and on deviantART, but oh well.

Yesterday after reading this post I discovered that a bad habit of mine since 12 years now is actually a disorder with a name: dermatillomania. It's interesting to know that it's an actual disorder with a name, and even more so that there are (supposedly) methods of treating it according to some of the external links at the end of the article. Much reading to do there.

I'm really liking Dorotheos of Gaza: Discourses and Sayings, especially his discourse On Consultation (I haven't gotten much farther than that yet), which prompted some musings of my own about my quite-infrequent talks with my priest. I guess I'll have to talk to him about that lol. It's not out of hesitation to disclose my life, simply because I'm not in the habit of doing it. Dorotheos basically says when speaking about Orthodox monks (of whom he was one himself) that it's extremely important to have a spiritual director that you can turn to in all matters since to rely on one's own direction is folly. It got me thinking about how infrequently I speak to a priest myself (aside from short confessions) and how, if at all, this advice can be applied to a layperson like me.

Things have finally quieted down at work and I have time to finish an entire sentence between calls now lol. I think I'll take some pictures and post them up when I get home. I work till 6pm so I get an hour or so of quiet after everyone leaves at 5pm. Lol I just realized that I'm able to completely tune out the hold music for my company after being put on hold with the dispatch (we're a shipping company) so often. Lol I was just on hold for 5 minutes to be told by the dispatch that the driver had already arrived, and when I got back with the client they say the same thing :P Yay! No problem :P

I also discovered a website that sells great incense. I've known the owner as a member of Desert Calling and here for a while now, and knew that she made incense, but had never seen her website. She recently had it made by another member of DC and posted about it so I thought to check it out and I'll definitely be buying some incense from her soon!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the comment on my site. :) The truth is, I was inspired to do the whole "picture-a-day" thing by your blog! I just realized I liked looking at pictures and such, and I thought it was such a cool way to get a different look into other people's lives. So I just decided I'd try it out. Although not that many people will be reading it, it will still be fun for those who do! I think that it is awesome that you want to do that, too. We should try to get some of the other DC bloggers to do the same thing. I personally find it really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Chocolate....have I told you lately that you are very lovely in every way, and that I have just the young man for you? (JUST KIDDING, although I'm sure you could have your pick at DC).

    Thank you so much for your kind words about my website....truly, the best compliment must go to Juvenaly because he saw, in my old website, what I was trying to do and say and he put it to gehter in the best possible, most beautiful way. Truly it is to him that compliments must go.

    If you send me your mailing address (no need for real names or anything if you don't want), I would LOVE to send you a simple gift package of incense just to say "I love you" and "Thank you for your sweet words and your sweetNESS about everything"...
    Love always,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric: Your welcome! :D
    Suzanne: Awww!! Thank you so much! that's really kind of you! *hug* You're a sweetheart as well!!

    You're "just kidding" was a real let down though, I had my hopes up for a second there! lolll. As for my pick at DC, I'll have to battle it out with Seraphima, Kyriaki and Mary Ellen loll.

    God bless you too!!

    ReplyDelete