Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cold food, amazing crepes, and crazy leftover salsa v.1

A true gamer, letting his food get cold in front of him because he's in the middle of a quest lol (that's fried ham with maple syrup and boiled potatoes and carrots btw):



So last Monday I decided to make some crepes to use up some milk that was soon expiring. I learned this recipe when I was a kid, my parents made them for as long as I can remember. This is one of my favourite homemade comfort foods. The recipe is super easy, 2 cups milk, 3 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, and enough flour to just start to give the batter some consistency, but still be runny and liquid. You might have to try frying one, then adjust the amount of flour/milk depending on the results. You want these to be pretty thin, but not too thin or they'll fall apart. So you heat a nonstick pan on med-high heat with a tablespoon of butter, and once it's hot but before the butter starts to brown, you pour enough batter to cover about 1/3 to 1/2 of the surface of the pan, depending how thick you like them, and then swirl it around slowly to get it to cover the bottom of the pan. Let it sit for a minute or two, then maybe shake the pan a bit to unstick it (I love t-fal). Once you see the edges START to brown, flip it, it should be nice and golden. Then leave it no more than about 30 seconds or 1 min on the other side to brown, then serve with whatever topping you like. Me I like to put 3 slices of cheese overlapping down the middle, right after I've flipped it, and then halfway through browning I fold one side over the cheese, then fold the side with the cheese over again, maybe leave it 15 seconds, then flip so the cheese doesn't fry in the pan, fry another 15-30 seconds or so, then serve. The crispy edges are always the best. When I was a kid I'd start by cutting off all the edge and eating it, and then eating the middle lol. I tried it with maple syrup and white pepper this time, it was delicious!:



I like to try new stuff, and use up leftovers at the same time. So last Tuesday I made Crazy Leftover Salsa v.1. I took some leftover turkey soup:



Some leftover tomato mushroom spaghetti sauce from a jar:



A few tablespoons of this so I could actually call it salsa:



And of course it wouldn't be proper salsa by my book unless it had lots of cheese:



Added some seasoning (that's white pepper on the right)



Microwaved 30 sec., stirred, repeated X 2, then voila! It turned out pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment