Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What I want for my kids

Taken from chapter 10 from Peace Pilgrim's book "Children and the Way of Peace"

A minister I know spent some time in Russia. He saw no Russian children playing with guns. He visited the large toy stores in Moscow, and discovered that there were no toy guns or other toy implements of destruction for sale.

Peaceful training is given in a few small cultures right within our larger culture. I knew a couple who lived for ten or twelve years among the Hopi Indians. They said to me, "Peace, this is amazing--they never hurt anyone."

I have walked among the Amish people myself. They have sizable communities. Peaceful, secure communities with no violence. I talked to them and I realized it's because they learn, as little children onward, that it would be unthinkable to harm a human being. Therefore they never do it. This can be accomplished if you are brought up that way.


I want to raise my (future) kids without tv.

I want to raise my kids in the country.

I want to raise my kids in a non-consumerist, non-violent society or community.

I want to teach my kids to love and serve others by example and I want their dad to do the same.

I do think it's still possible to do so in our day and age.

But I don't think I can do any of this in my present situation.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! My husband and I did this, pretty much -- it really IS possible. But be aware that you will be going against the world. And some kids will go along with this more readily than others. Also, from time to time, you have to give in a little or you lose your kids entirely.

    And where in Russia did that minister go? The (admittedly few) Russian kids I teach know all about guns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement! It means a lot. I think I'll have to make one very BIG change to be able to start even thinking about doing any of these things.

    ReplyDelete