Thursday, November 26, 2009

Again on living without money

When I read the article about Heidemarie Schwermer that I linked to in my previous post I thought to myself "now that's an example of someone that's Orthodox in spirit if not in name" and in searching for an english translation of her books I came across several mentions of someone called Peace Pilgrim who also lived without money or a permanent residence. Her book is online here, and from what I have read so far, only most of the first chapter, I get the same feeling about her as with Heidemarie Schwermer. The book says she spoke in many different churches, I wonder if she ever visited an Orthodox church? Both of these cases remind me also of a book I read once, "The Ascetic of Love: Mother Gavrilia" and how when she was living in India (also without money) she worked with many people who shared the same principles as her even though they weren't Christian.

All these stories are so inspiring to read, they've reminded me of my efforts to slowly get rid of material possesions that I don't need and my dream of living in voluntary simplicity.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I share the dream of divesting myself (ourselves) of so much STUFF. But so far, only about a tenth of what I had hoped to get rid of is gone.

    The IDEA of getting rid of most of it is wonderful. But then when it comes to the consideration fo each individual item, well, somehow that item turns out not to be included.

    Anastasia
    struggling to free myself of STUFF

    ReplyDelete