Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Susan Boyled Potatoes

Lol I'm gonna make these soon!:D
Last night I stopped at Dagwoods, and then at one of my favourite grocery stores, Eurodel on Newman in Lasalle. They have all sorts of yummy meats, I bought a container of salted herring in oil, some cured unsmoked bacon, and 2 kinds of head cheese. I don't know whether it was beef or pork tongue in the head cheese, but they were both delicious. As was the Dagwoods and herring and bacon. The bacon came unsliced, I was worried that my inability to slice grocery-store thickness slices would affect the goodness of the bacon once cooked, but boy was I wrong! This bacon was amazing even with my crappy slicing! I put it on low heat to render the fat, and once it browned up a bit I put it on minimum to continue to render as much fat as possible without burning it. I was expecting it to be dry and chewy, but no, it was amazingly crisp and tender and just a bit chewy in a really good way. I now know what they mean when they say good bacon is like candy, the texture really did remind me of some kinds of candy I've eaten. It was really salty, but that was easily remedied by putting it on a slice of toast. I can't wait to make some for Mat tonight :D Mmmm... I'm already imagining a hot toast with a few slices of this bacon, some tomato, and a poached egg with a sprinkling of fat-free powdered chicken broth and white pepper on top...
I took pictures yesterday, but after I made dinner I got to cleaning up my mess of an apartment and ended up not having time to post them. Tonight they go up, along with pictures of tonights dinner :D
Today for breakfast I had a toasted head cheese sandwich, and for lunch some leftover Dagwoods.

Argh I can't wait for 5:58 to come! Mat's picking me up. Ooh and I have to stop at Maxi for some brussel sprouts to make this!

No comments:

Post a Comment