Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Great Hamburger Experiment

Last week I decided to make hamburgers with the toppings IN THE MEAT. So I took half a package of low-salt bacon...



And fried it up on low heat...





Then drained off most of the grease and in the same pan fried up one package of white mushrooms and 1 chopped onion on medium-high heat till all the water evaporated, then turned it down to medium. I drained a bit too much grease off so I added some butter...



Then I cut up the bacon in little pieces and added that, half the onions and mushrooms and about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar to about a pound of extra lean ground meat with some salt and pepper...



And got this...



Then made a patty with it and fried it up on low heat...





There was about as much ground meat as there was other stuff in it, so it didn't hold together very well, and all the grease from the cheese melted out, so next time I'll use low-fat cheddar instead.

I made one to begin with, to see how it would turn out, and added some ketchup, mustard and relish to the bun...



And I found that the condiments totally overpowered the flavour of the meat mixture, so I decided to make the one for my lunch the next day without any condiments, just salt and pepper...



And it was delicious! This recipe made enough for 4 burgers. Very greasy, but very good :D

2 comments: