Monday, January 19, 2009

Bacon EVERYTHING!

I've spent the last couple of days reading Bacon Unwrapped between calls at work, and have since been inspired to make a few bacon dishes myself, as you might have noticed in my last post. As well as the Hamburger Experiment, I also did a Hamburger Helper Experiment with bacon that turned out amazing, which I will post about later. Just now I spotted a recipe off her blog that I absolutely HAVE to make tonight, and my original plan of a triple-decker blt will simply have to wait till tomorrow :P

[sarcasm]No I'm not in the least bacon-obsessed.... [/sarcasm]

Loll.

And apparently I can make my OWN SMOKER for only $50!?!

To boot, curing bacon is the simplest thing in the world from what I've read. I just need to get ahold of some pink salt. I can't find anything about it from a quick search on google or wikipedia, but pink salt is basically salt that's had a tiny amount of soduim nitrate added to it and then dyed pink to not get it mixed up with regular salt. It's used to cure meats, the sodium nitrate prevents botulism from forming and keeps the meat pink.

I'm definitely home-curing some bacon soon!! I had been meaning to do this for a while now, ever since I read this article, but new findings make it seem easier than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment