Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pasta, friends, and miracles.

This weekend was fun. On Saturday I ended up going to the restaurant with Steph and Jen after vespers. I spent all day on the internet and doing chores, then went to church early at around 5, then went to eat at 8 or so. The food at the korean restaurant was amazing, I ordered noodles that were served in a stone bowl which had been heated so that the noodles were frying IN the bowl! lol. And it was delicious! I was lucky I ordered without checking to see if it was spicy or not, and it wasn't. I don't eat spicy food, it's all pain and no flavour for me. Then on Sunday after Liturgy Mathieu came to pick me up and we went to La Popessa, and the food was great there too. I had angel hair pasta with the 3-cheese sauce and it was delicious. Afterwards we stopped at his mom's place and then went to visit his dad in Lavaltrie and I got to see his new house. After we went to see the new james bond movie and then I went home.

Sunday was also the 25th anniversary of our parish, St. Benoit de Nursie (St. Benedict of Nursia is the english translation if I remember correctly...). Bishop Seraphim was there, and as well as speaking in his homily about St. Matthew whose nameday it was (there's another story of my own there to tell after), he told us about something that happened during the All-American Council.

He was explaining how miracles happen around us every day, ALL the time. He told how there was a certain priest attending who was completely broken-hearted about all the arguing and fighting going on during the council, I believe his name was Fr. Stephen. One day during the council, after having taken communion and having asked forgiveness of everyone, he passed away. Bishop Seraphim explained that that in itself was a miracle, that he passed away under such circumstances, but most importantly, that after he passed away, the atmosphere of the council changed immediately for the better. It was not noticed by everyone, but to those who did notice it was apparent that Fr. Stephen's fervent intercession on behalf of those attending the Council was taking effect. Bishop Seraphim said that when it came time to vote, there was NO hesitation, at all. He also went on to say about how it's the first time in the history of the Orthodox church (here in North America) that a Metropolitan so young has been elected. And other things as well, but this story is what stuck in my memory the most.

About St. Matthew. Last week I was talking on msn with Mathieu. I told him I'd take him out to dinner for his birthday on Sunday, although his birthday was actually the 4th of October, completely ignorant of the fact that it was actually his namesday on Sunday. I was surprised and happy to find that out at vespers on Saturday, so when I saw him on Sunday I explained how it turned out that it really was, in a way, his birthday since Orthodox celebrate namesdays as well as birthdays lol. And I had no idea of this when we made plans to meet on Sunday for his birthday! So that was a small miracle in itself

In french it made more sense because fête (pronounced faihte in Quebecois) is the word used for both a holiday like Christmas (le temps des fêtes) or Easter as well as for someone's birthday. So I wished him bonne fête (happy birthday) since it was the fête of St. Matthew. The priests say bonne fête to all the parisioners after the liturgy when we go to venerate the cross if we're celebrating a saints day or other feast, which I found a bit strange at first because I'm used to hearing bonne fête being said to mean happy birthday lol.

1 comment:

  1. Fr Stephen was good man, and his intercessions were with the delegates of the Council. May his memory be eternal.

    ReplyDelete