Friday, March 19, 2010

Guacamole, Indian snacks, and other goodies

This week I went to the grocery store and looked at the salsa section for the first time. They had a bunch of things I'd never tried before, so I got some smoky chipotle salsa, some regular mexican salsa, and some guacamole seasoning. I had never heard of guacamole seasoning but I figured I'd try it, it seemed simple enough as the label read "Just add avocados!".



It turned out to be absolutely delicious! It was sooo much better than the two times I had tried guacamole in the past. The creamy avocado was perfecly balanced with bits of bright flavorful tomatoes and onions. I'm gonna buy more avocados tomorrow to make some for my friend Stephan, who's never tried guacamole. I hope he likes it! It's a pity I didn't take a pic of the one I made yesterday but I ate it too fast lol.

In the same aisle where I bought that there was also asian, indian, and other mexican food lol. There was some asian pork and beef jerky that I'm definitely gonna have to try when lent is over, and I bought some indian munchies, which turned out really yummy, if a bit spicy:



In the candy aisle I found this:



I finished the whole bag in two days lol. I shouldn't have eaten it before going to bed last night though, it kept me awake for a while. But they were yummy, I snacked on them all afternoon at work today too.

Going to the grocery store really is like a field trip for me lol. It's so much fun to wander around and find all the yummy stuff you've never tried before!

Another incredibly delicious discovery I made this week is cheesy rice - without the cheese. One evening I decided to put a heaping tablespoonful of miso and a cube of mushroom broth along with the 3/4 cup of round-grain italian rice and 1 1/2 cup of water I was cooking. When the water was all evaporated I tasted it and found it to be very salty so I kept adding water bit by bit and figured I'd let it get creamy like a risotto. When it was nice and thick and creamy I tasted it again and it was less salty, so I had some for dinner and stuck the rest in the fridge. A day or two later I took some out, and reheated it with a tsp of margarine, and a few grinds of white pepper. I couldn't believe my tastebuds! It tasted cheesy!! I kid you not! Ok maybe it was the association of white pepper to cheese that my tongue has from eating noodles and cheese with white pepper, but the texture was perfectly cheesy too! lol. Wow, I can't believe I stumbled upon that :D And it's light-years beyond the un-cheese sauce I tried making a few weeks ago. I wasn't even able to eat that. I didn't think to take any pictures, but it's not much to see anyways, just creamy rice-pudding-looking.

I'm also 90% decided that I'll move in with my friends Stephan and Christelle this summer, partly because it was announced at my job that they're doing a pilot project of having people work from home. So I told them I was interested and I'm praying I get chosen! They're only going to start with 4 people. They asked us to let them know if we were interested before the 6th of April, so I'm guessing I won't find out if I was chosen or not until at least mid-April if not later. The hours would be reduced, 10am-4pm instead of what I'm doing now, 9am-6pm, but when I move in with Steph & Cri my rent will almost be cut in half so that will help a lot.

Ok it's getting late so I'll post about tonight's dinner tomorrow. Oyasumi-nasai! (good night in Japanese)

No comments:

Post a Comment