Sunday, September 12, 2010

Roast noodles and cheese & onion pancakes

The other day I had some leftover broth from a roast that I had saved so I decided to make my favourite dish of noodles and cheese with it. Boy was it good! I cooked the noodles in the broth then grated lots of cheddar and ground white pepper on top and voila:



This morning when I got up I decided to make pancakes. My mom has a great recipe from her Fannie Farmer cookbook that we used to use so I called her to get it. And then I decided I wanted to make bacon & cheese pancakes, but couldn't find any bacon at the store across the street so I went with cheese & onion instead.

Ok I'll post a list of ingredients for once:

1/2 a large yellow onion, finely diced
2 or 3 green onions, chopped
1-2 cups grated strong cheddar
1/2-3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup white flour
2 tsp baking powder
~1/2 tsp smoked paprika (I really don't know how much, I just sprinkled some in from my shaker. Next time I'll leave it out though I prefer them without.)
1/2 tsp salt

Beat milk, oil and egg lightly in a bowl. Mix the flour, baking powder, paprika, salt and 1/2 of the cheese in a separate bowl.

1. Fry the onion on medium heat with a tsp or so of butter and a pinch of salt till browned (I added the green onions later so they wouldn't burn).



2. When they're done add them to the liquid mixture and whisk in.



3,4,5. Add the dry to the wet and stir till the flour is just moistened. Add a tbsp or so of butter to the pan and spoon in some batter, 3-4 dollops depending on size. Try to flatten them out a bit. Cover pan and let them brown on med-low heat. When they're browned on the bottom, transfer them to a plate, add more butter to the pan swirling it around to spread it evenly and put the pancakes back in the pan uncooked-side down. Put more grated cheese on top and cover again till the second side is brown and the cheese is melted.







6. Plate and devour!



Even my roommate who usually doesn't like pancakes liked these :D

No comments:

Post a Comment