Tuesday, March 1, 2011

2 Cheesefare Recipes, potato leek soup and cheese casserole (strata)

I made these last night. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the soup but it's pretty plain to look at anyways. I love this soup! I remember my mom making it when I was a kid, and last night at the grocery store I wanted to get lots of fruits and veggies, and spotted the leeks so I said what the heck I'll buy one and call my mom to get the recipe for that soup she used to make. So I did, here's the recipe:

2 leeks
4 medium potatoes
1/2 cup cream
1L chicken broth
2 cups grated cheddar
1 tpsp butter

(all measurements are approximate since I just threw everything together without measuring yesterday)

Peel and cube the potatoes, then boil in the chicken broth. While the potatoes are boiling, cut the tough green part off the top of the leek, then slice it lengthwise and wash it out if needed. Slice into 1/4in. slices, and fry in the butter on med. heat till limp but not browned, then set aside. When the potatoes are done mash with a masher, and puree with a blender if you have one. Add leeks, cream, and cheese, and heat until the cheese melts, but not to boiling

Here's the cheese casserole, when I made it I filled the baking dish to the brim, and it puffed up like crazy in the oven, but luckily didn't spill much. It flattened once it cooled though:




Here's the recipe, which I doubled for this batch. I added some fried onions in between the layers too. That's it...just onions... >.> *whistles innocently* XD

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I have to get back into the habit of using my camera, it's just that for posting this stuff to fb the phone is much more convenient.

So go forth and MAKE CHEESINESS!!!

Oh, and look at the cool t-shirts we're getting! I'll have to post some pics of us with them on soon :D Hopefully we'll be able to wear the to the Montreal Geekfest this weekend XD

No comments:

Post a Comment