Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm boooored. I spent some time on the internet doing the usual rounds yesterday at Mat's while he played on his computer so there wasn't much new to look at today. On Friday after work Mat's dad picked me up to bring me to his place since Mat was already in the area and arrived about half an hour later. We agreed that he'd pick me up from a little fast food restaurant near where I used to live with Mat a few years ago that happened to be on his way home. I remembered the place as your typical greasy spoon, broken tiles, crooked tables, fluorescent lighting, radio playing, little family place with faded pictures on the walls. Well when I got there I just stared for a minute or two, because it had apparently changed owner and they had renovated and mostly redone the look of the dining area. The tables, chairs and floor were the same, but that was about it. They put nice spotlights, little blue lights in the bay window, pretty bright paintings on the walls, real plants under the arches along the separation between the dining area and kitchen/takeout counter, flatscreen tv's on the wall, nice jazz-y music playing on a good sound system, and even a little bar in the back. I don't know if the prices went up for the other dishes but the poutine I ordered was decently priced, $5 for a small/regular, which was large enough for me. It's a pity I don't live there anymore, I'd go more often.
So then Friday night and Sat. morning we didn't do much, Mat's dad was sick so he rested mostly, Mat sanded and plastered some more, and I painted a bit. We left at around 3pm Sat. afternoon because I wanted to do something for nice for dinner since it was Valentine's day. We ended up going to La Popessa, a nice cheap little restaurant downtown. They serve mostly pasta, it's a really nicely decorated place, with wrought-iron lamps along the railing, and a big tree with little lights, floor-to-ceiling windows in the front and brick walls. It's kind of like a cafeteria though in that you take a tray and order at the counter, but the best part is that they make the sauce you choose right in front of you. I had the Zurichoise sauce on angel hair pasta. It was reeeeally yummy! If you're lucky the guy making your sauce knows a few tricks like flipping the plates, oil bottle, making flambé's, etc. The first time I went there the guy was showing off, it was really fun to watch :D
After dinner we rented... I think it was called Bangkok Dangerous, with Nicholas cage, and Scorpion King. I did laundry while we watched the movies. Scorpion king wasn't great, but Bangkok Dangerous was good. Then yesterday morning Mat dropped me off at church and went home. After church at the meal we had Blini to eat since Fr. Iriney had made a ton of them. We had taramosalata and sour cream and roast turkey, and I discovered that I love cod liver. Afterwards I bought a bag of chocolate-covered date pieces that one of the parish members had brought back from a trip to somewhere in the middle east I think, and was selling $5ea. with the profits going to a monastery somewhere if I remember correctly. I had had them before because they give them out at Christmas and Pascha at the meal after liturgy at my mom's parish too. Afterwards I took the metro to the south shore where Mat picked me up and brought me to his place, and we spent the afternoon on the computer. We also went to visit his brother briefly to bring him some things. After dinner I took a nap while Mat played on the computer some more, and at 8pm we watched Crank on his computer. I loved it, it was hilarious, even though it had a dissapointing ending. After that I resized a few more pictures on my laptop until Mat needed it to burn some cd's and went to sleep at around 11pm.
I'm glad my cough is gradually going away finally. I didn't feel like going to the doctor again. I'm undecided on whether I want to go visit my parents this weekend or next. Well my mom's meeting with the doctor on Wednesday and she'll know when she's starting her treatments by then so I'll see.
*Yaaaaaaawn* I forgot my lunch at Mat's this morning. Oh well, it's a frozen dinner so it'll keep till next time I'm there. I went to a little restaurant nearby and got a grilled tuna sandwich and a salad. It was really yummy, but I wasn't able to finish it all. I think they must have used the whole can of tuna in that thing. Blaaarg. What do I do. I think I'll nap between calls... it's quiet today.

No comments:

Post a Comment