Friday, October 17, 2008

Prayer Soup

So today I was tired and headachy (due to lack of sleep and coffee withdrawal), and Scott ended up cancelling for tonight, asking me to come over tomorrow instead cause he had stuff to do tonight. I was dissapointed but it's just as well, I'll probably get more sleep this way lol.

I decided to make Kyriaki's Prayer soup tonight.

Prayer Soup (a.k.a. Lent Soup):

1 large onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped

water

3 medium parsnips, chopped

1 can french-style seasoned green beans, with juice

1 jar baby oysters with juice

2 giant carrots, chopped

1 red pepper, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

170g portobello mushroom, chopped

2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped

1 small can tomato paste

oregano, thyme, garlic salt, and roasted garlic and pepper seasoning (I don't bother measuring, just add till it tastes good)

more water

1 cup dry green laird lentils

1/2 large can red beans

salt and pepper

(or whatever vegetables you have around the house (not including the type sitting in front of the computer/tv) or happen to pick up at the grocery store)

And last but most important: prayer! Best results if prayers are to St. Euphrosynos the Cook

Simmer for an hour or more, adding more prayers occasionally.

Idea taken from Kyriaki's journal

Makes 8-10 servings.









P.S.

The soup turned out delicious! I'm happy, this is my first attempt at making soup from scratch.

P.P.S.

Ah! my arm is finally free from under the cat's chin, I can type with both hands now! (although she did look awfully cute...)

Eric tells me that there's a weekly skype DC get-together on Friday nights, I'll have to download it and join in soon! It sounds like fun :)

Off to bed I go! It's too late already...

3 comments:

  1. God bless you for this post....my friend Misha and I were just talking by email about this very subject yesterday....The holy fathers say that the saints of the last days will be the greatest of them all...Surely St. John the Wonderworker will be among them!!!!

    I too have been touched deeply by the knowledge that such people actually existed in our century. I have been priviledged and honored to meet one of them, ( a priest in theSerb church who is still alive) and I truly believe that in the coming years, God will reveal these people to us .... we must watch and pray!!!!

    Much love to you dear Chocolate...
    Suzanne
    ps: I've been lurking your blog for awhile and I wnat you to know I stole your recipe for the soup...that looked SO GOOD!!! i want some! But it would taste better at your house I imagine...Love always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer soup! I'm so glad you tried it, and even more glad that you liked it. Yours looks delicious :)

    Mine is forever evolving, and varies depending on what's around. I've never tried mushrooms in mine, I might have to sometime soon. I usually use cannelini or navy beans for mine, which gives an interesting flavour. Beans and legumes rock, I must eat them by the tonne these days I think!

    Glad you liked it. The recipe I based mine on, the Greeks call Φασολαδα, or Fasolada (literally 'bean soup'), but I get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blackincence: Thanks! and God bless you too, I'm glad you stole the recipe, I love making things for other people to try! And you're always welcome to have some at my house if ever you're in my neck of the woods :D *hug*

    Kyriaki: Thanks! And thanks for the idea :P If ever you're in Canada you're welcome to come over and try it here as well lol. *hug*

    ReplyDelete